John Howarth provided the land on which this Greek Revival schoolhouse was built in 1859. The building served the community as a place of worship for the Howarth United Methodist Church and as an Oakland County school. The Methodists moved to new building across the street in 1898; however, the building was used as a school until 1955 when the Orion township school system was consolidated. The church then acquired the building for its vacation Bible school and its annual Christmas bazaar.
The Lake Orion Historical society and various groups and organizations in the area raised money to have the historical school house moved to Friendship Park at the corner of Baldwin and Clarkston Rds in Orion Township. Contact the Orion Township Parks and Rec. department for information about tours and hours of operation..